Whether you are thinking of renovating a portion of your home or remodeling to create an entirely new space, inspiration from other makeovers and projects can help you transform your home into the dream environment you have always wanted. The big question is when to do it yourself and when the project requires hiring a remodeling professional. Tradeoffs to consider include time, professional results, and money so in the end, it all comes down to personal confidence and budget. As a general rule, you should only undertake a project if you feel comfortable that you have the skill set to complete it with good results.
One of the quickest and easiest ways to renovate a home is by giving it a fresh look with creative painting techniques. Adding new coordinating accessories like mirrors, paintings, and rugs will complete the look to make a room look brand new. Other ways to makeover space are to replace countertops, utilize unused space like the basement, install tile flooring, or even to build a new deck.
Here are some nifty renovating and remodeling ideas for you to consider:
- Your basement space can be turned into a stylish hangout space like a bar.
- Skip the stress of full-on remodeling by incorporating the industrial charm of your basement into the décor.
- If your basement is small, mirrors, or a backsplash and glass shelving for a bar will help create the illusion of a larger space. Bring in a touch of glamor with marble and brass accents and floating shelves to provide a space for all the essentials.
- Wood paneling and frosted pendant lights will create a warm atmosphere for serving up your favorite cocktails.
- A marble countertop paired with black lacquered cabinetry will provide classic elegance with a modern appeal.
- A cottage-style setup is ideal for a cozy family room where members of the family can gather together to watch movies, play games, or for a quiet and relaxing time to read in peace. After applying a coat of paint and new flooring, comfortable furniture and a warm rug will be all you need for your new family room.
Kitchen and Bathroom Renovations
Projects best left to professionals include:
- Moving or installing new plumbing
- Running a new gas line
- A high-end countertop and cabinetry installations
- Hardwire under cabinet lighting
- Demolishing walls or building new ones
DIY projects that can safely be tackled on your own include:
- Cabinet resurfacing
- Laminate counter replacement
- Faucet replacement or sink replacement
- New flooring
- New lighting or light fitting replacement
When done right, wallpaper can provide a beautiful and timeless transformation to any room. Although wallpaper can be done easily within a few hours by a professional, just one DIY mistake can ruin the end result especially if it has an intricate repeatable pattern. If you have selected a high-quality, beautiful wallpaper it is best to leave it to a skilled craftsman to ensure it will live up to its full potential. Wallpaper does not have to confined to walls as it can also transform spaces like closet doors, cabinets, and the rises of stairs.
Window treatments serve an important purpose but can be tough to navigate as there are so many options. If you don’t have a clear idea consult a trusted interior designer to give you expert advice on making the right choice for every room. Options include sheer or blackout curtains, blinds, roller shades, and Roman blinds to name a few. The most important thing to remember here is that they should be customized to suit the space. Choose the type of window treatment first before proceeding with color and pattern choice.
Another is getting your pool remodeled or resurfaced. Pool resurfacing helps add to the value of your property. I got my pool resurfaced from pool resurfacing in Dallas and it turns out to an awesome result.